7.09.2008

Pomegranate Ice Cream



I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!
In my house there's always room for ice cream. Although I don't have an ice cream maker, I always enjoy to make this creamy treat without it. Especially for the girls :).

No Ice Cream Maker Ice Cream : Pomegranate Ice Cream

I like to experiment with my own mix-ins, especially fruits, because my kids really love them. You can use fresh fruits or frozen ones if you desire. I think any fruits will work well. However, feel free to modify the fruits as to your liking.

There are tons recipes that can be made with a few simple ingredients. And I always choose the one without raw eggs but still never lose its appeal.

I saw this pomegranate ice cream at Rachelle's flickr and she shared the recipe on her blog. Pomegranate? Why not?! And no ice cream maker needed, that's what I like the most :p. *I made this 3 weeks a go, just had a chance to posted here ;)*

And here's my contribution to celebrate National Ice Cream Month hosted by Nikki at Nik Snacks.

No-churn pomegranate ice cream (with fresh pomegranates)
source : Rachelle of Mommy? I'm Hungry!
(Rachelle's version with pomegranate juice, here)


Ingredients :
• 2 pomegranates
• 1 lime
• 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
• 2 cups heavy cream
(dita-I added 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar)

pomegranate 2/4

Directions :
Juice the pomegranates and the lime, straining the juices into a bowl. You will have approximately ¾ cup of pomegranate juice. Reserve the pomegranate seeds for garnish.
Add the powdered sugar and whisk to dissolve.
Whisk in the cream and keep whisking until soft peaks form in the pale pink cream.
Spoon and smooth the ice cream into a rigid plastic container with a tight-fitting lid and freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight. Scatter with pomegranate seeds when you eat it.

Homemade ice cream is a real kids pleaser. My kids usually eat it with cookies. Just try this sesame cookies, they goes perfectly with your ice cream. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Rosa. They are so delightful!!

Sesame Cookies

Sesame Cookies
Taken from "The Soul Of A New Cuisine" written by Marcus Samuelsson and slightly adapted by Rosa of Rosa's Yummy Yums.

Makes 3 dozen cookies.

Ingredients :
1/2 Cup (64g) + 2 Tbs Plain white flour
1/2 Tsp Baking powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
4 Tbs (1/2 stick/60g) Unsalted butter
1 Cup (240g) Light brown sugar, packed
1 Large egg
1/2 Tsp Vanilla extract or paste
1 Tsp Fresh lemon juice
1 Cup (150g) Sesame seeds, toasted

Directions :
1. Combine the (sieved) flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Using an electric stand mixer, hand mixer or spatula (by hand), cream the butter and brown sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
3. Add the egg, vanilla and lemon juice and beat until thouroughly blended, about 30 seconds.
4. On low speed, slowly add the flour mixture and mix just until incorporated.
5. Beat in/incorporate the sesame seeds.
6. Allow the dough to rest, covered, in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
7. Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F).
8. Line two baking pans/sheets with parchment paper.
9. Drop the dough by heaping teaspoons onto the baking sheets/pans, leaving about 7cm (2.8 inches) between the cookies.
10. Bake the cookies until golden, about 7-9 minutes, turning the baking sheets around midway through baking.
11. Remove delicately from the baking sheets/pans and cool on a wire rack.

Note :
Those cookies tend to spread a lot, so give them space.

Another No Ice Cream Maker Ice Creams :
1. Nutella Ice Cream
2. Cocoa Ice Cream
3. Strawberry Ice Cream

21 comments:

  1. itu cookiesnya rasanya kayak apaan Dit, gue lagi banyak wijen :P..pengen bikin juga :D..tengkiyuu ya makk

    ReplyDelete
  2. rasanya garing-garing manis dengan aroma biji wijen. Coba aja, Sye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. warna pink-nya elo banget ya mak ;))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:57 PM

    I should have bought the pomegranates at the market today, they were cheap and I could have made this ice cream.
    Lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. emberrr... klo i scream mang gak ada musim, panas dingin tetep dicari. warna ice creamnya bikin screammm...pengennnnnnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have an ice cream maker either, my friend, so I'll be trying all of these recipes! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:47 AM

    pengen banget nyoba Dit, cuma gw suka sebel susah nyari bahan-bahannya disini. Pomegranate blom nongol lagi di market. Enak kali ya dibikin es krim gini...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:22 PM

    wah boleh dicoba neh... mateb kayanya :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:35 PM

    great pics and delicious ice cream!!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful ice cream! And even though I have an ice cream maker, I just might have to try this without it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:47 AM

    I screeaaaam for Ice creeaaam... *spongebob mode on*

    Bagi dunks buat Taysa.. (or mamanya ;p)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen this recipe floating around and it always looks so good but I have yet to make it! I love ice cream... I'm living off of it lately.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Dita! How great you got to try this recipe, I wish I could've found fresh Poms to use. Yours turned out great, nice and pink.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Mindy : hehehehe....emang pink gue tuh gimana mak? ;)

    @ Linda : thank you Linda. It's so refreshing for the summertime.

    @ Rita : es krim tuh emang fave sepanjang masa deh!

    @ Patricia : actually I want to try david lebovitz's recipe, people said it's so delicious, Pat.

    @ Dhi : pan gak musti delima, ganti aja buah lain yang ada :)

    @ Zita : silahkan ;)

    @ Sandra : thank you!

    @ Deborah : yes you can still make your own ice cream without ice cream maker :)

    @ Mae : kakak Tasya mamam bareng Arwen dan Leia yah.

    @ Brylinn : so you bought an ice cream maker and the perfect scoop? what an ideal pair!!! :D

    @ Rachelle : thanks for sharing, Rach. I added balsamic vinegar in the recipe and it turned out good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ih gue curiga nih sama blogspot elo, masa gue liatin dari kemarin komen gue gak muncul-muncul :))

    cuma mo nanya, itu ice creamnya gak usah bolak-balik diaduk ya Dit?
    gue gak punya ice cream maker soalnya, tapi liat es krim elo jadi ngiler :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sefa : comments-nya emang baru gue approve2in, Fa ;). Kalo mo bolak-balik diaduk ya lebih bagus.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous1:38 AM

    wah baru tau ternyata bikin es krim engga usah pake mesin bisa ya... senengnya ketemu blog dita. gue link ya, biar gampang ngintip2

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous6:29 AM

    I love pomegranates. And what a great idea to merge their flavor with ice cream. What a great recipe, and great pictures of the ice cream too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Foni : lahhhhh banyak Fon kalo mo googling resep tanpa ice cream maker ;). Lo cari yang ala David Lebovitz deh, konon rasanya juwara.

    S for Kitchen Confit : thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous6:22 PM

    This looks wonderful. I've got a real thing for pomegranate, so I'm sure I'll be making this at some point in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The pomogranate icecream looks divine! and so simple to make. I'm going to make one with coconut milk and maple syrup instead..

    ReplyDelete

thanks for dropping by :)