SHF Asian Sweet Invasion : Pumpkin Puree with Mung Beans Sweet Porridge
The theme for this month in Sugar High Friday (SHF) is Asian Sweet Invasion. As an Indonesian, actually it is really an easy task as you know Indonesia has so many kinds of dessert (you can read the story at Arfi's). But the problem is, I'm not living in my homecountry. So, when I decided to cook some Indonesian cuisines, sometimes the ingredients you will need are not always available. However, I used to it. There are always some better ways for substitution. The good things, sometimes you come up with the new creation adapted from the original recipe.
The idea of my entry this time came up from Bubur Kacang Ijo or Mung Beans Sweet Porridge. Since I still have fresh pumpkin in my fridge (it's been there for almost 3 weeks..yayyyy), I'd like to combine it with the mung beans.
And I'm sending these Pumpkin Puree with Mung Beans Sweet Porridge to SHF Asian Sweet Invasion hosted by Amrita of La Petite Boulangette.
Mung Beans Sweet Porridge aka Bubur Kacang Ijo
1 cup Mung Beans (better soak 2-3 hour ahead)
1/2 cup Palm sugar
5 cm Ginger, bruised (or yoou can use 3 tbsp of ginger powder)
a pinch of cinnamon powder
a pinch of nutmeg powder
1 1/2 cups Coconut milk
1. In a large pan, bring water to the boil, add mung beans, ginger, palm sugar, cloves, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder and pandan leaf. Cook until mung beans soft.
2. Pour in the coconut milk, stir and boil for further 5-10 minutes.
3. Serve with Pumpkin Puree.
2 cups Pumpkin
Sugar to taste
1 cup Thickened Cream
1. In a large sauce pan bring water to the boil, add pumpkin and sugar. Cook until soft.
2. Lift out the soft pumpkin and mashed it (you can use food processor/blender to make puree). Add thickened cream. Stir until incorporated.
3. Serve with Mung Beans Sweet Porridge.
You can serve this dessert either warm or cold.