I know I know this is not so summery dish ;), but I was so craving for soup, especially thick soup. And I'd love to bring this soup to Monthly Foodie Multipliers # 16 : Soup hosted by Vin. Vin, here's my potluck!
Here's the original recipe. I used potato instead of butternut squash. Didn't make the Gruyere Croutons but I ate the soup with Buterhorn Garlic Knots (recipe will be blogged soon). This recipe calls for cumin, you know I'm not a big fans of cumin. Sometimes, its smell disturbed my appetite, but this......ooohhhh...how I love the smoky flavor of the cumin in it!
Butternut Squash Soup with Gruyere Croutons
source : Alyson originally adapted from Bon Appetite
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
4 1/2 cups chicken broth
3 lbs butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 1/4 tsp minced fresh thyme
1 1/4 tsp minced fresh sage
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground ginger
1/8 cup whipping cream
• melt butter in large pot over medium heat. add onion and garlic and saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
• add broth, squash and herbs; bring to boil.
• reduce heat, cover and simmer until squash is very tender, about 30 minutes.
• working in batches, puree soup in blender. return soup to same pot.
• stir in cream; bring to simmer. season with salt and pepper.
can be made 1 day ahead. chill. rewarm over medium heat before serving.
4 cups cubed bread slices
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
1 tsp minced fresh thyme
1 tsp minced fresh sage
2 tbsp olive oil
• preheat broiler.
• arrange bread cubes on baking sheet.
• drizzle olive oil over top of cubes. toss with hands.
• sprinkle cheese, then thyme and sage over bread cubes.
• broil until golden, about 1 minute. re-arrange cubes and broil for about 1 minute more.
• ladle soup into bowls and top with croutons. grate an additional amount of cheese on top if desired.