Happy Sunday everyone! (though it's not a perfect Sunday for us, we have problem with our air conditioner, it runs but it doesn't cool, meanwhile it's 50˚C outside! *sigh....I'm burning here!*)
So, let's have some energizing breakfast!
I'm a mother of two toddlers and I always try to involve my kids in cooking and baking as much as I can, mainly as a way to make sure they eat healthy and good food. And I think that would be a good way to teach them that homemade food is one thing they should appreciate *say no to junk food please*.
One of the healthy choice to start their day is granola breakfast. And they can make with me, choosing their favorite dried fruits or nuts, just customizing as they like. They used to eat that with yoghurt and fresh fruits such as cherries, strawberries or banana or just eat as it is.
This recipe is totally adaptable, just mix your favorite dried fruits or nuts for a different experience. It can be make in big batches and you can do lots of different thing with it. Not only you can vary the granola, but you can vary the ways you eat it, as well : plain, with milk, with fresh fruits, with milk, with honey, etc.
source : Alyson of Milk Eggs and Chocolate
2 cups old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup whole pecans, halved
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup pumpkins seeds
1/3 cup (packed) brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
2 tbsp honey
1 cup (packed) dried organic cherries, cut into quarters
• preheat oven to 300°F.
• mix first 7 ingredients in large bowl.
• melt butter with honey in heavy small saucepan over low heat. pour over granola mixture and toss well. spread out mixture on baking sheet.
• bake 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
• add cherries; mix to separate any clumps. continue to bake until granola is golden brown, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes longer. cool.
• can be made 2 weeks ahead. store airtight at room temperature.