A popular dish from Java Island.
And here's my entry for FOOD PHOTOGRAHY competition to celebrate the 1st anniversary of Klub Berani Baking (Indonesian Baking Club).
Wedang Ronde (Ginger Ronde Drink)
Adapted from Yasa Boga
• 150 grams glutinous rice flour
• 2 teasoons sago flour (dita-I used tapioca flour)
• salt, according to taste
• 25 cc betel lime liquid/air kapur sirih (??) (dita-I skipped)
• 50 cc warm water
• food dye, according to preference
• 50 grams peanuts, dry-fried, peeled and pounded coarsely with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Ginger Syrup :
• 1 litre water
• 2 ½ tablespoons ginger, minced
• 3 stalks lemon grass, cut into 3 pieces each and bruised
• 2 pandan leaves, knotted
• 200 grams granulated sugar (dita-I used palm sugar)
• Dumplings : mix glutinous rice flour, sago flour and salt. Add betel lime liquid and warm water a little at a time, kneading until the dough can be shaped. Divide into 2-3 parts, each dyed a different colour.
• Make balls as big as quail’s eggs, flatten and place filling in the centre. Close up the dough and reshape into balls.
• Cook balls in the boiling water until they float and are done. Drain.
• Put Ronde balls in ginger syrup and serve.
• Ginger Syrup : boil water and ingredients in covered saucepan on low heat for 30 minutes until the aroma is quite strong. Sieve.